Meta, the parent company of Facebook, has introduced Meta accounts. It’s a brand-new login process gives Quest, and Rift customers access to VR headsets without requiring a Facebook or Instagram account. According to Meta, the update is gradually being applied worldwide. When you have the choice, follow this guide to create or switch to a Meta account.
How to Easily Use Your Quest or Rift VR Headset Without Facebook?
In August 2022, Quest and Rift VR headsets will no longer require you to log in with a Facebook or Instagram account. CEO of Meta Mark Zuckerberg wrote on Facebook, “This will give everyone a greater choice about how you show up in the metaverse.” According to Meta’s blog post, if you don’t immediately see the option to establish a Meta account (and consequently a Meta Horizon profile), you should get the update “soon.”
You may also like the following:
- Project Playables: How to Play Pulling Man Game?
- How Long Does It Take to Transfer From Robinhood to Webull?
New Quest users: Create a Meta account
The setup procedure is straightforward if you are the happy new owner of a Quest headset and prefer to use it with your email rather than Facebook or Instagram. Put on your VR headset and download the Oculus mobile software for iOS or Android.
- The Oculus software will provide a code to pair your VR headset.
- The choice to log in using Facebook or Instagram will then appear. You may also register for a Meta account using your email.
- By selecting the Meta account option, you can use your Quest without a Facebook or Instagram account.
- Although it’s not necessary, you can still use such services to potentially sign in to use the Messenger platform.
- You will be led to your Meta Horizon profile setup after creating a Meta account.
- Select a username, display name, and profile image.
- You can change your privacy settings to be available to everyone, your friends and family, or just you.
Existing Quest and Rift users: Switch to a Meta account
- Quest users: Go to meta.com/setup to get started.
- Rift users: Go to meta.com/websetup to get started.
You must wait for an update in the Oculus mobile app if you currently use the Quest or Rift VR headset and log in using your Facebook account. The program will instruct you to go to meta.com/setup if you’re using Quest or meta.com/websetup if you’re using Rift when it first comes. You can make a Meta account there and have the option to use your email in place of Facebook.
What Happens When You Create a Meta Account?
Nothing should be lost if you switch to a Meta account (rather than continuing to log in using Facebook or Instagram). Your gaming progress, friends, and purchases will instantly be moved to your new account. However, you won’t be able to use Messenger or look up friends on the site if you delete your Facebook and Instagram accounts.
You will also be instructed to create a Meta Horizon profile after creating a Meta account, which includes a username you can use in Meta’s metaverse.
Do you need a Meta account?
To continue using your Quest or Rift VR headset after January 1, 2023, you must create a Meta account if it is currently connected to an Oculus account.